ABOUT ST. MARY'S CATHOLIC CHURCH:
With the success of the Passionists’ efforts in Birmingham, St. Mary’s Church in Fairfield began as a mission of Holy Family
Church in Ensley in 1942. A small frame church was dedicated on March 12, 1943, by Bishop Toolen, Assisting Fr. Miles, C.P., as a teacher, was Sr. Anthony, M.S.B.T. Sister also began a kindergarten for the children.
In 1961, Fr. Nicholas broke ground on a new church building. The new St. Mary’s Church was dedicated on April 29, 1962 by Auxiliary Bishop Durick. In 1985, an addition to the church, begun by Fr. Bernie, with offices and meeting rooms, was dedicated.
Beginning with one Catholic in 1942, St. Mary’s has over 150 parishioners today. Many of the members of St. Mary’s have leadership positions in government, education, and healthcare. St. Mary’s school has undergone some major changes in recent years. We have closed our St. Mary's school due to lack of funds and enrolments in the year 2013. We began constructing a new Social Hall on Sep. 8th 2017 and it has come almost to completion. Official opening will be on March 4th 2018.